Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

trbleshooter

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
I have a user on a Dell optiplex with a Win2k OS that won't boot. It will boot to safe mode and even run with networking. When i try to boot up normally I get the error:

0x0000007F (0x00000008,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) unexpected_kernal_mode_Trap.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance! Is it just stuck in a loop that it can't get out of. The user said he left when the computer was trying to update Adobe reader. That's all he knows. Typical user:)

I faced the same problem ...
and I made a restore from an image ...

I didn't find a solution - and I was going to re-install Windows !

it took me 8 hours ...
So , my advise , re-install it if it's not a big deal ...

Mohamed Farid
[green]Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!![/green]

It will boot to safe mode - how about last known good configuration?

If last known good won't work, have you checked the event log in safe mode? Tried uninstalling Adobe reader?

There's always a repair reinstall of course (best done with a slipstreamed SP4 install disk - assuming user is on SP4):-

when it happened with me , I couldn't use safe mode , and last known didn't solve it ..

I couldn't access the System that day !

Mohamed Farid
[green]Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!![/green]

Thanks for all the ideas. I eventually uninstalled Adobe and the anti virus software and could then get it to boot normally. I reinstalled adobe and the anti virus and all is well the world:) I believe the user was trying to do an adobe update and somehow corrupted the anti virus program as well. Maybe the AV program went out to get an automatic update to the signature file at the same time and that caused problems. Not sure but we are working now. Thanks again for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back