Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot boot system after installing video card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhelfri

Technical User
Oct 28, 2001
US
I installed a video card into a pc - Win 98 - detect new hardware message read new PCI controller detected load drivers - I put the cd in which had the drivers they did not install received error message tried to reboot the system and no it stops - I tried rebooting with startup floppy but the system does not even get to the floppy during startup -- what can i try??

First thought would be that the video had suffered infant mortality. Would try another PCI video, then an attempt to wipe the CMOS to default.
Do you know what your boot sequence was before installing the video?
What about error beeps, fans, indicator lites? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You didn't say what the card was, but sometimes cards at the cheaper end of the market seem to be badly manufactured and won't sit deep enough into the PCI slot. Check the card is seating correctly, and if not, either exchange it for another one, or carefully "re-engineer" the backplate.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I have had this issue with cards that are not compatible with the board. You can try booting up in Safe Mode by striking the F8 or CTRL key before the screen says "Starting Windows" If you can boot to the desk top, then you want to disable hardware acceleration in the Display properties in Control Panel. On the Settings Tab click on Advanced, then on the Performance tab and slide the bar back to the NONE side. Reboot the computer. If it restarts normally, then the card may not be compatible or may be defective.

Hope this helps
Joelee :-{}

You can try with some things:

1- try with another video card.
2- try to move the card to a differente slot
3- try clearing the cmos
4- try the card in another pc
5- check fan work / keyboard lights / sound beeps

as me know if you resolve the problem
Alexis
cm2gj@hotmail.com

Put the old video card back in and start over. When the system boots change the video setting to the lowest setting available preferrable to the default SVGA 16 colors, on the default video driver. This should allow you to use the new video card long enough to install the driver.

Sometimes you have to install AGP, GART DRIVERS OR 4-IN-1, OR other drivers to get a new video card to work. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back