Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot add printer for remote printing PC ANywhere 9.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriray

MIS
Jul 11, 2000
US
what's missing here?

I need to be able to print stuff from the host computer running windows 2000 to the remote printer.

launched pc anywhere on the host computer
added the printer through the Remote Printing tab

But when I name the printer, I always get an "Invalid Printer Name" error message.
is there a rule in naming the printer?

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

I deal with this almost everyday. To remote print using PCAW 9.2 with W2k here are the steps to take.

This is assuming your host is W2K also

On the host machine go to printers
Add local printer (whatever printer you want to add) EX:Hp832c using pcaw.prn port (very important)
Share this printer as EX:HpRemote

Now when you connect to the host from your machine you can use the a net use statement out at dos.
Ex: net use lpt1: \\"hostmachinename"\Hpremote
this will redirect the printer back to your local printer and everything you print while you are connected will print back to your printer.

Once you are done printing what you need and are ready to disconnect you will have to use another net use statement to disconnect the printer.
net use lpt1: /d

Post a reply and let me know how this goes for you. This works for me and we can get you up and printing too. :)

thanks Dmasch for replying.

There seems to be something missing because when I type it "net use lpt1" i get a message saying

"System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found."

and also, to clarify, do I go to the command prompt on the host machine or the client computer (mine)?

THanks again for the help.

You go to command prompt on the host machine. You will need to put in the host machines name. That is reason for error 67.
On Win2k you will find this if you;

right click on my computer and click on properties
then click on the network idenification tab
this will tell you the machine name.
For example if it sames your computer name is (Workstation1)
You will also need to know what you shared this printer as.
For example share printer as (Remote)
your syntax would be

Net Use LPT1: \\workstation1\remote

Remember once you are done disconnect printer or your host will not be able to print to their local printer.

syntax is
Net Use Lpt1: /d

Have you added a printer on host machine in printers and set the port to pcaw.prn and shared your printer yet?

Keep me updated. Good Luck we can do it!

Dmasch,

im still getting error 67. I did exactly what you told me...--i have the printer added to the host comp., used pcaw port, and tried to do net use lpt1:\\hostname\printer-- what's missing? does the number of characters in the computer and/or printer name matter with net use? (The host computer name has 12 chars and the printer has 10)

Do you have NetBeui installed on the host machine. You could also use the machines ip address if you dont want netbeui installed. You could assign that machine a static private ip address. Ex. 192.168.0.10
Can you do a
Net View \\hostname
That will show you what shares are on the host and if it can resolve the name.

I think it is just a protocal problem now. We can do it either way I listed above. Let me know.

Also another note: make sure that there are no spaces in either the hostname or the printer share name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back