Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Add My Pictures to Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBMac

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
Running XP Pro version 2002 SP2

Silly little thing - bu making me crazy

Used to have 'My Pictures' on right side of Start Menu

Now it is gone. Easy fix - Start Menu properties, Customize, Advanced , Start Menu Items ....

But, 'My Pictures' does not show up in the list (My Documents - My Music - but not Pictures)

My Pictures was a folder under My Documents - I moved it up to the same level as My Documents ... no change

I cannot believe I'm spending time on this (but CEO has same issue and it bothers him so I'm motivated to figure it out)

It sounds like there is a Group Policy setting in place to remove My Pictures from the Start Menu. The following Group Policy setting removes My Pictures from the Start Menu and also removes the entries from the Start Menu customization menu.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar

'Remove My Pictures icon from Start Menu'

If you have access to the registry editor, you can see if the policy is configured by navigating to this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

If the policy is configured, the registry value "NoSMMyPictures" will be added with a data value of 1.

The link below provides some information about Start Menu policies in XP.

- Policy settings for the Start menu in Windows XP

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back