Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot add any machines to W2K DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2002
GB
Firstly this small network is based in the UK.

My friend has a network with 2 W2K servers, 1x win98, 1xwinME and a proxy server with an ADSL connection. Previously the main DC was WINNT4.0. He rebuilt the DC with W2K server set up DNS and DHCP correctly and used DCpromo successfully. However when he tries to add any of the other boxes to the domain he is returned the error message, "The network cannot be found". He can successfully ping all boxes from each other. On IPconfig /all, all IP addresses are in a similar range and correct subnet masks applied. The domain name does not end in a .com it is machinename.domainname. He dispared so much at one point that he rebuilt the DC as a PDC WINNT4.0 box and it all worked again.

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? We have both looked at it for so long we have probably overlooked something really obvious.

Many thanks

Thanks mate!

I have a suspicion that as my friend is an NT4 guru and never reads the literature for stuff (he likes to work things out himself) that maybe his DNS is not set up properly. Saying that he said that he has set up DNS properly and WINS and used the NSLookup functionality and it still isn't happening. As I am fast realising though, there are all types of minor "complications"...I might just have to take the day off to start it from scratch!!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back