Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot add AD listed printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz101

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I moved our networked printers from an NT server to a 2000 server and listed them in AD. When XP users try and add the printers by looking for them in AD, two problems occur:
1. When Entire Directory is selected in the Find Printers window, it doesn't find any printers. I have to change Entire Directory to our domain name listed in the drop down box.
2. When trying to add the printers once they're found using the domain name, I get a connection error:
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server"

As a workaround, I don't try to add the printers by looking in Active Directory, instead I just browse for the printer and connect to the servers share (the old fashioned NT way). No problems adding them that way.

The weird part is, I don't have either of these problems on 2000 clients at all. I even get this problem as a domain administrator on my own XP desktop, so I don't think its a permissions problem.

Thanks for any hints.

Did you add these printer to windows 2000 using the migration tool microsoft provided? Make sure you installed the printers using the 2000 drivers.

Can you explain your install procedure for one of these printers.

Dan

I added them using the built-in drivers (they're HP 4050's and 4000's), connecting to an HP standard TCP/IP port. Then I shared them and checked "List in the Directory". No migration - added them as if they were new.

OK so I just tried to reproduce the errors by adding another printer, and everything worked correctly.

Is something wrong with my AD? Should I start posting to the 2000 server forum?

I just went from windows 2000 to 2003 printer server with no problems. Have you searched the microsoft website?

Not sure what to tell you buddy.

Regarding the "can not find error" maybe this is a routing issue. Can you ping the ip of the printer from the workstation? Is the printer even on?

Didn't find anything related to the error on M$ site, but I'll continue to dig - I'm more concerned that theres something wrong with AD than people having to use a simple workaround to add printers.

Not a routing issue - printers work fine, we're all on the same network in a small office. Its only a problem (or was a problem) with adding them.

Thanks for your help. I'll post any discoveries I make.

Have you found an answer to this issue yet? I'm having a very similar problem, where some shared printers on XP computers in a 2000 native AD domain are either not showing up in the "Find in the directory" list, or give the error "printer has lost its connection" when trying to add them to a client through the "Fine Printers" window.

Browsing for printers the old way still works fine, but I want to move away from that. Perhaps it's an issue with XP clients in a 2000 AD domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back