Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ACT subgroups on remote database but can on publisher database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrayc

MIS
Jan 5, 2012
US
Hello all,

I have a user with an XP SP3 laptop using a remote database for Sage ACT 2012 Pro SP1. This user wanted to try to create a subgroup within an already existing group. After each attempt, the user would get an error message saying that the group could not be created because the heirarchy could not be null. Indeed that heirarchy field was blank, but also greyed out, so that the hierarchy could not be manually created. When I attempted to re-create the problem myself, I had no problem. However, there are two differences. First, I have ACT set up on my workstation (an XP SP3 desktop PC) with a direct connection to the publisher database, rather than using a remote database. Second, my user has administrative rights, whereas the user getting the error message does not.

Would either circumstance (the remote vs. publisher database or administrator vs. non-administrator make a difference? Did I miss a step? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Thank you GLComputing for your response.

Since I am a relative novice with ACT myself, I would like to request clarification on what you mean by access to the parent group? If you're referring to administrator access, then I guess the answer would be no. This user is set up as a standard user.

As far as having this user try to create new groups, I don't recall them trying to create a top-level group and then a sub-group. I cannot check with them currently, as they are out of town at present.

As an experiment, I set up my own remote database on my computer, and tried adding subgroups to another group and the original group that was generating the error. I was able to do this successfully while logged in as myself and while logged in as the user who was having issues on his remote database (I gave all of our ACT users access when I created my remote database). Is it possible that when this user's remote database was set up that the access was not set up correctly?

For supplemental data, the user with the group creation problem (in fact all users except myself), were set up with ACT 2012 Pro SP1 as an upgrade from ACT 2006 (I do not recall the exact version of that other than the CDs say 2006 OEM Version), and the upgrade was done by an outside contractor. I will now check with the other ACT users who aren't administrators to see if they are having similar issues. I'm beginning to think this may be an isolated case.

Thanks for your help so far.

I will give this a try when the affected user gets back and let you know how it works. In the meantime, I will check with my company's other remote database users.

Thanks again.

It looks like it worked. I finally had a chance to get with the user to test your solution (the user had been travelling extensively lately). Sorry for the tardy reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back