Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access share with full permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystaldre

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2004
US
This might be more of a server or active directory problem but here goes:

There is an in-house Win2003server that's used for file sharing. Our users have read only access to the share, and then read and write access to the folders in the share, so as not to create any folders that dont need to be there.

I created a folder inside of the main share of this server, and granted a specifi user full access to the folder i created. He can access the server and the directory I created no problem at all. However when he wants to add any files to the share it gives him an "access denied" error. If he tries to create a "new folder"in that folder again it gives him the "access denied" error. Why would he not be able to upload, change ore modify anything in the folder he has"full control" of?

If the share permissions are OK check the NTFS permissions.
Take a look at 'effective permissions'

Is this an AD Domain?
Or a Win2003 server set as a file server in a Workgroup?

And if a Domain, has their been a join to the Domain both for the machine account and the user?

stduc: How do I check NTFS permissions?
I looked at the effective permissions and the user is in the list

bcastner: It's an AD domain. And both the server and user's PC's have been joined to the domain, and the user is a domain user.

crystaldre said:
I created a folder inside of the main share of this server, and granted a specifi user full access to the folder i created. He can access the server and the directory I created no problem at all. However when he wants to add any files to the share it gives him an "access denied" error. If he tries to create a "new folder"in that folder again it gives him the "access denied" error. Why would he not be able to upload, change ore modify anything in the folder he has "full control" of?

Because the user only has Read permissions at the parent folder. You need to click the new folder where you granted Full Control and use the Security tab and Uncheck "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object". You will get a security warning; click remove to set the different permissions on your new "parent" folder.

Figured it out. User didnt have "change" access to share. Users needs "change" access to share no matter if full permissions are given to folder. Yes, i am a moron. Thanks for the help guys.

Change is an NTFS permission.
It really is not a great idea to mix ACL and NTFS permissions, as it leads to confusion, as in this case.

You can achieve everything you want with just NTFS permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back