Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access Share via name only IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbied69

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2006
GB
Hi,

I am having a problem whereby I am trying to access another machine by: \\comp_name\c$ When I do so, it asks me to log in as a local administrator and asks for a password, which the previous person did not leave me. However, I can access it via the \\192.168.0.7\C$ perfectly. I have been told it is a possible DNS issue. I have used NSLookup on the ip address and it points to the correct machine. I have also used NSLookup on the machine and it points to the correct IP address.

Can someone please help me as its annoying me.

Thanks in advance.

reboot the machine you are trying to access it from as it will reset the DNS table. then give it a try and see how you make out.

This almost sounds like a poor security practice. When accessing any C$, you should always be asked for the password, whether you are accessing with IP, or hostname. This almost sounds as if the username/password is "stored" somewhere in the registry for that IP, not the hostname. I wonder what would happen if you put the hostname and IP in the host file.

Once again though, this is a poor security practice, and should be remedied.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back