Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access quick launch bar for several minutes after start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotorheadcase

Technical User
May 7, 2002
AU
I'm running Windows XP Professional (not networked) and Norton AV 2002. Ater login it takes several minutes to be able to access the start menu or quick launch bar, desktop items can be opened though. Is NAV running a background scan or update check? If so is there a fix?

i have the same problem. If you have the NAV icon in the bottom right of your desktop at startup, you'll notice a red X over the icon. I believe something in a recent update caused this. NAV scans your system first before Auto-Protect will enable. Im not sure whats causing it, but i hope an update will fix it soon.

Chris

This isn't anything to do with NAV. I have had this problem since I installed XP and it happened before I instlled NAV. The reason seems to be due to a network process, where XP trys to locate your computers position on a network. The way I have found round the problem is to put a fake IP address in the properties of the the IP protocol on network settings. This helps although after a certain time the IP address gets deleted for some reason and the hang returns. I find it very annying and as of yet havn't found a complete solution.

Hope that helps.

I'm also getting the red X on NAV on the desktop machine so maybe the problems maddave is having is anther problem.

My notebook is running the same configuration and it works fine now....I did an uninstall and then reinstalled it, updated it and from then on it worked fine?? I'm about to give it a go on the desktop machine and I'll let you know how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back