Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access printers from start menu, HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispybee

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
GB
Hi all.

I've got a citrix server running xpa fr2 and whenever I try and go into printers from the start menu, it hangs the machine and then clears the screen. I've tried going in as an Administrator and with a User account. Both failed.
Also I'm having trouble with printing from Explorer. Getting Images but no Text.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have also seen this type of thing from time to time. Problem seemed to be related to a bad printer driver and/or print job being stuck, causing the spooler to hang. First thing to check is the spooler. See if it is stopped and can you restart it? If spooler keeps hanging go to registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print and delete any printers that are there. Are you using Autocreated printers? If so, make sure the client has same print driver name as the citrix box.

Bob K

I would logon, stop the spooler and look into the spooler directory for any rogue files. Delete all the files which are still there. Also check your system log to see what is being logged, it may lead you to the printer which is responsible. You should also check to see if the spooler is starting properly on startup BEFORE any printing activity. If it is corrupted, reapply the SP. If the spooler is crashing, you might also look at the Dr Watson log for clues. I agree with Bob, it's most likely a bad printer driver but I've also seen the spooler get corrupted before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back