Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access network share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
I am trying to access a network share on Win 98 2nd platform. I can see the PC in Network Neighborhood so when I double click on it, I get "//rsipple is not accessible. This device does not exist on the network". Same thing happens on another Win 98 PC. I can access it from a Windows 2000 platform though and I can also access other PCs on the Windows 98 platform.

What OS is running on the machine your trying to connect to? If it's NT or 2000 do you have the hard drive set to NTFS? I believe that Windows 98 can't access a NTFS file partition.

Just an idea,

Kenny

The OS on the PC I'm trying to connect to is Win 2000 Pro.
I can connect to another NTFS partition on Win 2000 from a 98 workstation.

Do u have the "File & Printer Sharing" enabled on the Win98 machines? Try checking them. You can find these options in the network settings. Enable sharing both. You can also try sharing one dummy folder on these machines and see if you are able to reach them over the network.

Cheers Ash :cool:

I do have file and printer sharing enable on the win98 machine. I cannot even access a folder within the pc because it says the pc is not available on the network.

That is what i want you to enable!! Go to the network properties of the Win98 machine(accessing the machine locally) from its Control Panel; and enable "File & Printer Sharing".

Ash :cool:

As I said before, it is already enabled.

You'll need a user account set up on the win2000 machine with same user name/password as you use to log onto win98 machine you're trying to access it from (or the guest account on Win2000 machine enabled - but that's not recommended as it creates security problems). The win2000 machine will have to have some shared resources (other than the default ones like C$) set up as well.

I did setup a user account with the same password that would log into the win98 machine on the 2000 machine. I created another share giving the user administrative rights.
I can access the shares on another 2000 machine but not using any win98 machines. I can also access another 2000 machine on the win98 machine but not that specific one.

Right click on the Drive or folder(s) that you want shared and select sharing. Click on share as and give it a share name. Set access type acccording. If you haven't done this already. You might need to reboot after also.

Right click on the Drive or folder(s) that you want shared and select sharing. Click on share as and give it a share name. Set access type acccording. If you haven't done this already. You might need to reboot after also. You should see the "outreached hand" icon indicating that it is shared.

I already created a new share on the drive and rebooted. It has the "hand" already and I am able to access it from another win2000 machine. I just cannot access it from a win98 machine. I tried to delete and recreate the share too and that did not work either.

Check to make sure both the 98 and 2000 machines are using the same protocols.

They have same configuration....

Client for Microsoft Network
TCP/IP Protocol
Netware Client
IPX/SPX Protocol
Same domain

They aren't in different domains or workgroups are they?

Hi Friend,

I believe you need another NIC for your Win98 machine in question. Also, replace the network cable with another known good...

Yeah, Baby!
AP

Perhaps you might want to compare the configs on the
two 98 workstations. The one that works vs. the one that doesn't. If you haven't done so. Or try a different port on your router or switch and force a release/renew of the ip.

They are in the same domain and workgroup. None of the 98 workstations can access the share on the win2000 workstation. All of the win2000 workstation can access the share though. So obviously the problem lies on the win2000 workstation that i'm trying to access because I can access other win2000 workstation on any of the win98 workstations. I just don't know how to fix the problem.

What about the machine name and share name? Is this 2000 machine name like the other 2000 machines? Same naming conventions, number of characters, no special symbols?

Machine name is the same as other machines. No special characters, etc. It is configured the same as others. Share name is just letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back