Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access Microsoft Windows Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

riksweeney

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
GB
Hi,

recently something went wrong with our network. I can log into our domain OK and can use Exchange and contact our machine acting as our CVS repository, but if I go to Microsoft Windows Network the system will freeze for about a minute before showing the domain that I'm logged into (there should be another one, the domain controller can see it but cannot access it). If I double click on the domain it will freeze again for about a minute before reporting

(domain name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

The Domain Controller is Windows 2000 server which can see and access the domain and the computers in it. I am trying to access the Microsoft Windows Network using XP Professional.

I can ping the DC and I have no Firewall on.

If I type a machine's name and drive into the folder address bar or from Run... then I generally can access it.

quoted from
How do I know I have a browser problem

When you open My Network Places, the computer list you see is obtaining from the master browser of your network. You have a master browser issue if you have the following symptoms. 1) If you can ping a computer name, you can search it, you can map it, but that computer doesn't show or take long time to show up on My Network Places.
2) Net view command shows no lists or shows "System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".
3) when clicking on Computers Near Me in My Network Places or workgroup name in Entire Network, the following error message may appear: "Cannot Access 'Computers Near Me' " or "Workgroup is not accessible" errors.
4) when click workgroup name under Entire Network Places, you get "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The list server for this workgroup is not currently available."

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back