Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Access Management Console After Editing VLAN Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbjoe

Technical User
Sep 19, 2011
US
After trying to change a VLAN configuration setting on a Nortel 470, I can no longer access the web management console.

I was able to access the switch's console until I tried to edit a VLAN Configuration, then the connection timed out and I can no longer ping the address of the switch.

Is this just a glitch that will resolve itself or is there a way to fix it, hopefully without rebooting the switch?

One of three things if I had to guess. You either removed the management vlan from the port you're connected to, deleted the management vlan from the uplink to the core switch, or changed the management vlan altogether. If the management vlan is 10, make sure the port your PC is connected to is configured as an access port in vlan 10, and that the management vlan is 10. For example, assuming you connect to port 1 to manage the switch:

Vlan member add 10 1
vlan port 1 pvid 10
Vlan port 1 tagging untagall

If you have no in band management, connect to the switch via a straight through serial cable at 9600-8-N-1, press control Y and you can get to the menu/cli that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back