Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access Internet????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

fj62alex

MIS
Jul 24, 2006
US
Hi,

I am totaly puzzled with this problem. I am using a cable modem connected to a wireless D-Link router. Router is connected directly to one computer (network cable) and I am using an USB wireless adapter on the other computer. The other computer work just fine. But the computer that is directly connected to a router, doesn't. Cannot connect to an internet. I've checked a few things including DNS client (enabled), DHCP service is enabled. I tried to release and renew IP address and it doesn work. Turned router on/off, tried to reset it and it doesn't help either. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Sorry, forgot to mention. Running Win XP Pro, Service Pack 2

Can you ping the router from the one directly connected?
Can you pin say " from command prompt?

Perhaps the cable is bad.

What settings does the connection get from the router? are they similar to the ones on the Wireless machine?

Is the router's IP address set as the Gateway for the wired machine?

Is it getting the correct DNS's? Does the wireless maybe have DNS's set manually?

All this should help us diagnose the problem better.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Was wondering if you were getting an ip address at all. Sometimes when release renew hangs its because the router doesnt see the other pc. reboot and see what ip you have, then check your NIC to make sure lights, cabling ect is connected. If everything looks ok then try statically assigning an ip address to the computer, that way you may be able to narrow the issues down to DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back