Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot access directory even if logged as root

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagwis

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
JP
My system is a Redhat 7.0 runnig sendmail and qpopper. My problem is there is a directory /proc/6/fd that i cannot access even as a root. I tried changing its ownership by typing chown -R 0.0 /proc/6/fd and even chmod 700 fd but i still can't access the directory.

what m i going to do to access it?

Proc is a protected directory similar to stand in unix. It contains process information and inforamtion about the system such as the pci devices and serial devices. Do you really need to muck around there? If so, you can cat any files in there, but cannot vi the files. You may be able to unmount the /proc filesystem and then remount it in rw mode. That works with unix, but I have never tried with Linux.

the reason i want to see the content of /proc is that there i want to know what is this /proc/6/fd/.backdoor is.

My system is RH 7.0, and even in a newly installed system, there is a .backdoor file. Do you have any idea what is this .backdoor file in /proc/6/fd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back