Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can your ISP see what sites you been on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwefan

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
US
Hello, is it possible for your internet service provider to see what sites you have been on? say with Charter or SBC? I was not sure if they track all that or not? Thank you.

Yes, if they want to, they can keep track of where you've been. But depending where you are located, this could be a privacy legal issue if they do not advise you before you start browsing.

Every packet on the internet contains a source address and a destination address. Every router in the path HAS to read them. It is merely a clerical problem to record what goes by at any point on the internet.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

yup, it happens.

I read not so long ago that loads of ISPs email goes to MI5 servers!! Dont know if thats true or not mind you, but it wouldnt suprise me.

But email etc...not private at all if "the powers that be" dont want it to be.

Besides....it shouldnt be an issue if you have nothing to hide :)

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Ah, but privacy is an essential part of liberty, and liberty is a right, not a privilege. I believe our countries had a disagreement about this a couple of hundred years ago. ;-)

Besides, we don't have to worry about MI5. We've got the NSA, CIA, FBI, and DHS all waging the battle against privacy. It is a big concern, which is why I think it would be highly beneficial for *all* email and VoIP data streams to be encrypted. It would still be possible to see that a conversation took place but it would not be possible to listen in on the conversation.

in UK ISPs are required by law to record what sites each user has visited.
They are also going to pass a similar law in eu (if they haven't done it already). Also all telephone call details are recorded in eu, under the law for terrorism, which was voted by the european parliament a few months ago.
So, you have no privacy

well see funny thing is that you might believe that you have certain rights "such as privacy", but if your country doesn't think so or has laws that would invade that privacy, then you really have no right to privacy at all, going by your countries law.

See i grew up in the states and when i came here (my native country of El Salvador) I unfortunately got arrested for helping my cousing out of a brawl. well to keep it short i found out the laws here were very different from the united states , after i got beaten up by about 5 cops and spent 3 nights in jail. So really in this day and age you don't have any rights that your country does not deem as one.

(and if it's a right by law, they can always take away that right any time they want!)

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

privacy is like peeking into someones diary, you know you shouldn,t but you do. you then convince yourself that it was the right thing to do. After the fact

Personaly i want Big Bro to spend Big Money to look in my diary.

So the big ??? how do we begin making sure everything that leaving our computer is encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back