Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you work around TopN needing summarized data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITCPhil

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
CA
Hi,

This is on Crystal Report 10 and Oracle data.

I've a report showing rankings based on summaries at this time. However, considering that one person might be absent half the month, the summary gives them awful numbers. The client is asking if it is possible to rank based on the averages instead of total. I checked the helpfile and here, but could not find an answer as to if it is possible.

Example, my TopN ranks based on Emails actioned. Instead, it should rank on Emails actioned divided by total tickets opened (as the total is lower for absent folks). However, in the TopN menu, the formula does not appear as it is not summarized. Is there a way to get my formula to appear in the TopN menu??

Thank you,
Phil

Hi,
That might be handled better at the database end..If possible, create a view that, in addition to the other data in the record, computes the Average for each
person as a new field ( alias it as AverageActioned , maybe) and then use this view for your report and specify the new field for the TopN..

This could also be done in a Command Object....

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I am not allowed to create views for my reports. Our department has people specifically in place for databases and they won't add a view for me to run a report nor will they allow me to modify the database. There are also 2 Sybase subreports in there where I've no database access I think.

For the command object, I'm afraid I've never taken an SQL course so can only do the very basic.

My formulas are not difficult, that is what irks me. I use 2 summarized formulas to get an average which I then can't sort on :
DistinctCount ({SRMIS_REQUEST.REFERENCE_#}, {SRMIS_REQUEST.RECORDED_BY}) /
Sum ({@count web}, {SRMIS_REQUEST.RECORDED_BY})

Oh well, I am hopefully going to be sent on SQL training soon so maybe I should learn enough to start using command objects.

Thank you.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back