Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you use DDR Ram on a RAMBUS board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnmacananny

Technical User
May 30, 2004
US
I know you probably think this is a dumb question but i built my computer over a year ago and since i have been out of the 'loop' with technology. Can i use DDR ram on my Rambus board, and if so what kind? Please excuse me if my description is inaccurate or not helpful.

chipset/board:intel 850, 2.4ghz 400mhz fsb

Ram: 512mb PC600 RDRAM (yes there is a
compatibility issue at bios start up, but still runs)

hard drive: 120gb@7200rpm

graphics card: Geforce4 ti 4200 AGP8x 128mb

Sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

I want to upgrade because it's about time. I notice that Unreal Tournament 2003 can be choppy sometimes when i play it. I dont think it should be with my set up. I think that my problem lies in the RAM being that it is PC600 when i know i need PC800. I was looking to replace with DDR ram, and i honestly know nothing about ram.

Thanks,
Shawn

Ok i just checked to make sure

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
533Mhz fsb
2x256mb PC800 RDRAM

I believe the original Intel 850 chipset only supports a 400MHz FSB max. The 850E and later support the 533MHz FSB. Therefore, you'll need to know whether your board supports the faster FSB before making the upgrade.

Also don't forget that anytime you adjust the FSB, you've got to make sure the memory bus is still running at the right speed.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back