Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you use Cat6 RJ45 connectors with 22AWG wire? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
A customer needs some devices connected to their network. They installed the Cat5e themselves, but used 22 AWG instead of the typical 24 AWG. The regular Cat5e RJ45 connectors won't work with this larger cable.

Does anyone know if Cat6 connectors would work even though the cable is a little larger than it should be?

You'll likely have a bit better success with cat6 jacks. Try one and see...
Mike

22 AWG CAT5e?? Are you sure it is CAT5e, not that some manufacture did not make some CAT5e rated 22 AWG cable, but I have never seen any, and can't find any company that makes such a product. All the references for a CAT5e transmission path use only 24 AWG.

You can't mix-and-match CATEGORY rated hardware, that includes MODULAR JACKS. If you do, it is NOT Category rated anymore! The results may be unpredictable and not supported or recommended by the manufacturers.

You really want to check that cable and see what information is printed on the jacket.

....JIM....

putting plugs on the end of solid cabels is not a good practice

Like mforrence said I would use jacks and patch cords

I also agree with Sysquest - never heard of 22awg cat 5. Don't know why you'd need it for the typical distances involved. If you're talking about exterior cable, be sure to terminate it properly on lightning protection so that no one dies in the event of a strike.
Mike

I went out to the site to see what was going on. This what is on the cable:
7922a DataTuff(R) by Belden Verified (UL) CAT 5e 4PR22 E34972 PLTC OR CMR-CMX OUTDOOR OR C(UL) CMR--ISO/IEC 11801 CAT 5e---TESTED TO 350MHZ---US PAT 5,606,151 & 5,734,126---SUN RES OIL RES 2405 0907 157 ROHS 081164 FT

The conductors were too fat to fit a CAT6 connector. By shaving the jacket off just a little bit, I could work them into the connector. However, because of the thicker copper, they wouldn't crimp properly.

I found out that we have a cabling company coming out tomorrow to do some fiber terminations. We talked to them and they said that they could take care of the copper termination as well. I guess we're just going to leave it in their hands for now.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

DataTuff® appears to be designed for specific applications. Does the customer really need that kind of cable or could they have used more common 5E cabling from Belden, Systimax and others [ponder]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

The cable is intended to be used with Belden parrs designed and manufactured for this cable as part of an installation set.

So far as installing plugs on solid wire, it is difficult but it can be done, but it requires a type of plug with the connection designed to penetrate the insulation on either side of the wire rather than pierceing the wire like the one for braided wire.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

This cable needs to be terminated with jacks not plugs.

I know that the Panduit mini-com jacks take 22-24 AWG wire.

Well you learn something new everyday!!

I just looked up the product in my 2006 Belden Master catalogue and it's in there on page 18.9, 22 AWG and all!

The Belden DataTuff is very heavy duty, and designed for industrial applications. They even make a 2-pair version for Ethernet.

If your customer still wants to use this cable, you should call Belden for support on 800-235-3361 and ask them for CAT5e Modular Jack recommendations for this cable. That is what I would do if I was going to use it.

I should read my catalogue more offen...

....JIM....

I agree Jim. This should be installed as a set so to speak. All the components will have to be matched to be able to meet the specifications the cable was designed for. This is the cables, patch panels (not plugs) and jacks. Call their technical support for part numbers and you'll have a good install.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks for all of the information, everyone.

The cabling company guys I mentioned earlier have terminated the cables with the appropriate jacks. According to the electrical foreman, everything appears to be working fine, now.

Being you are having this done, be sure to ask for printed test results. This makes sure you got what you paid for and that they did indeed place the right jacks/patch panels.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back