Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you share a scanner on a network??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
CA
I have a scanner hard wired to 1 computer in my office. I am wondering if I can use the scanner from another computer on the wireless LAN I created. I thought it should be like a printer but it isn't that easy.

Dear avatarp ,

at my office i cant share my HP precision scanjet.
Why you don`t just plug it to another PC instead.

A 2 cents from 273485.

Printers are shared when conected to a pc or a network. When a printer is connected as a standalone device on a network it must have some type of network or LAN card installed. This network device is then configured with some type of network protocol such as TCP/IP. A printer on a computer is shared via the operating systems share software such as windows share files and printer service. I know of no such software that exist which will share a scanner connected to a pc. There are however scanners which do have networking capabilities built in. Also a scanner which utilizes a SCSI interface could be shared when connected to a pc because it is seen as a device on the network.

Don't you have to stand over the scanner to put your original document/picture on the scanner??? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Yes I do have to stand over the scanner to actually work it but it would be nice since there are only 2 computers on my network if I could operate it from either computer without having to rewire it. It isn't a major hasle but it would add convenience.

I am in the same situation. I work for a small company. We have one scanner connected to my computer via a scsi card. We would like to share this scanner so that other people can scan a document with out using my computer. Any body have any luck with this? There was a reply that said you can share a scsi scanner. Any body know how to do that??

Thanks for any help
Jon

just an idea here:
if the scanner as a drive letter on your pc you could
try mapping it as a drive on the second machine.
let me know if that works knowledge is power, spread the power

What do you plan on doing. running to another office putting one page in the scanner and then running back to your desk scan that image and then start all over? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

The only scanners I have seen that will do this are networked, such as a HP OfficeJet G series Scanner/Printer/FAX. On this machine you can walk up to it and select a PC on the network to scan to from the front panel. The selected PC will automatically open a viewer and receive the scanned images. It works pretty well.

LoneAdmin is very right! There is, to my knowledge, no way via windows to share a scanner.

Whether somebody wants to run to the other office to use a scanner does not matter. If it needs to be done, then you have to have software that allows it to happen.

The only place that I have seen are certain HP scanners. The people that I have helped who wanted this function simply researched the scanner, and bought one with the appropriate software! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back