Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can you run exchange 5.5 and 2003 concurrently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmail

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2005
US
I'm in the process of migrating aprox. 200 users from a 5.5 server in AD 2000 environment to exchange 2003 in AD 2000.
I would rather do it slowly and run both servers concurrently. I'm not quite sure how to have the new 2003 server receive and send mail without bringing down the old 5.5 server.
Thanks

Sure, you can do this...I'm in the process of doing it. It's called an interorg migration. You install the new Exch 2003 server into the site, move mailboxes, pf's and system folders over to the new 2003 server and then decommission the 5.5 servers (Quick overview).

Basically, you just follow the steps in the wizard when you install 2003 and it walks you through installing your first 2003 exch server. This has been a flawless migration so far and we've been able to take our time with it and learn rather than doing it over a single weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back