Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you run 2 versions of CF on 1 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbered

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
CA
I've seen a question like this before but, can't remember where.

Can I run CF 4.5 and MX on 1 server?

yes you can

CF 4.5 will be using the default port of port 80 and MX can be accessed via port 8500. using port 8500 will use the built in webserver that ships with MX, this will allow you to do some testing with MX while running all of your websites on the normal 4.5 installation.

You will put your cfm files into the c:\cfusionmx\ directory and then access them like this:
it is not recommended to use the built in webserver in a production environment though, it is just there so that you can test CF MX on your box

hope this helps!

Tony

Tony,
Won't both versions try to use the same keys in the registry, though?? If I look at the registry keys for MX, they appear to be the same as 4.5 and 5.0 (they're actually still under the Allaire branch), with no version-specific naming. So I would imagine one would step all over the other. No?
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Carl,

From the notes that come with MX:

"If you have ColdFusion 5 installed on your computer, you can upgrade to ColdFusion MX (which uninstalls ColdFusion 5), or you can install ColdFusion MX separately. If you install ColdFusion MX separately, your ColdFusion 5 installation remains the same and ColdFusion MX installs with its built-in web server. This is because ColdFusion MX and ColdFusion 5 cannot use the same web server."

Probably not the best way to go about it, but it can be done. I certainly wouldn't do it on a production server, but a development machine that you don't mind trashing.....

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back