Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you reset Windows 7 professional log in password ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneJr

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
I just purchased a desktop pc with Windows 7 Professional installed from a local business that just closed its doors. When I booted it up and got to the Windows log in screen, I found out that I don't have the log in name and password. I thought it would have the option to log in as a guest or something, but it doesn't. Is there any way to bypass this log in or change it without doing something drastic?

Thanks for any help
Terry

Do you have a W7 installation disk? I can't remember where it is but there is something in it that will allow you to reset the password.

Have you tried administrator and a blank password?

I came across this today Link which I have not tried myself however, it looks very simple and no need for 3rd party software.

I have always used Offline NT Password Changer which can be found here Link or by downloading Hirens Boot CD

HI :)

XWB - I didnt have a installation disk, but I made one from a Windows 7 Home edition machine and that didn't work because it was a 32 bit version and the new computer is a 64 bit.

tpadowner - you are the best :) I have been working on this for days. Ive gone through forums and watched youtube videos until im about to go crazy. Ive tried so many unlocking programs and start up cd's and jump drives.

The youtube video from avoiderrors did the trick !! very easy to follow and got me up and running in like 5 min :)

I sure appreciate your help !!

Thank you
Terry

>I just purchased a desktop pc with Windows 7 Professional installed from a local business
>XWB - I didn't have a installation disk

Technically it was illegal for them to provide a copy of Windows 7 without either recovery or installation media

strongm said:
Technically it was illegal for them to provide a copy of Windows 7 without either recovery or installation media
Given this bit of info ....
from a local business that just closed its doors

I don't supposed they really cared about it being against M$ terms and conditions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I didn't necessarily read into the OP that this was from a MS authorized dealer. It sounded more like a company sold their used machine, which is a valid transfer in most cases.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

> I didn't necessarily read into the OP that this was from a MS authorized dealer

I definitely didn't read that into it. My comments referred to a 3rd party transfer of license

>It sounded more like a company sold their used machine, which is a valid transfer in most cases

No, it isn't. Not without the original media, the certificate of authority, the product key and, wherever possible, the original proof of purchase.

That's for full retail copies. For the OEM version the installation media can sometimes be replaced by recovery media (and note we can only transfer the license to another party by selling or giving them the machine the license was originally and still is installed on)

The Windows 7 EULA and the OEM EULA are very specific about this.

And if it is a company volume license then you cannot sell it on at all.

strongm,

I know the OP's issue is resolved and the discussion has strayed off-topic a bit, but I'm wondering if in the case of a major OEM such as HP or Dell, if the EULA restriction is the same.

For example, many HP and Dell "business" laptops have a Vista Business COA label, but the BIOS may contain an activation key that is compatible with both Vista Business and Windows 7 Professional. Because an end user has access to contact HP or Dell for replacement media, would it not then be OK to sell one of these used laptops without the media when Windows 7 Professional is installed? I'm not seeing anything in the EULA that specifically states a media disc must be handed over.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Just to clarify, I know the "Transfer to a third party" section of a System-Builder OEM EULA says the transfer must include the software and COA, but in the case of a Royalty OEM, it seems the EULA restriction may be different. It's my understanding that a Royalty OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) aren't required to supply a software disc with the hardware they sell, and that a recovery partition is optional. So I'm thinking the resale of said hardware is under a different restriction than say your typical mom-and-pop shop who uses a System-Builder OEM license.

Without seeing the agreement to verify that they are correct, 3 suppliers that I intermittently deal with sell used machines with clean XP installed. In one case I know that the machines are off lease or removals from site upgrades. I also know that one of them has been audited (without problems) by BSA during one of the periodic piracy frenzies.

No recovery partition, no media.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

>Royalty OEM

What Microsoft more normally call Direct OEM. And yes, it is correct that they do not have to supply installation media (as I alluded to in my 12 Jan 14 20:17 post), but if they choose not to then they are supposed to provide the recovery media (which can be a recovery partition or on removable storage - and note that normal System Builders are actually prohibited from providing recovery media on removable storage). What they are not supposed to do is to have neither. Also, they are supposed to provide genuine installation media upon request, for a nominal fee.

>No recovery partition, no media.
Yes. I know people sell like this. People also sell OEM COAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back