Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you reorder the virtual disks in per710 with h700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnbnatera

Technical User
Feb 14, 2006
HK
hi,

i have a per710 with h700 and 4 disks. each disk is a separate virtual disk.

originally, the order is as follows:
Virtual Disk 0 = /dev/sda
Virtual Disk 1 = /dev/sdb
Virtual Disk 2 = /dev/sdc
Virtual Disk 3 = /dev/sdd

sd[ab] are OS disks md mirrors with grub installed into their mbr's. sd[cd] is just an additional storage.

for some reason, when sda was replaced, the ordering was messed up:
Virtual Disk 2 = /dev/sdc
Virtual Disk 3 = /dev/sdd
Virtual Disk 0 = /dev/sda
Virtual Disk 1 = /dev/sdb

data is still in tact, BUT from grub, one cannot boot automatically. upon boot up, you'll just be faced with a grub> prompt that needs kernel.... initrd... and boot manually typed to bring up the OS.

what needs to be done is to reorder the virtual disks such that they would appear similar to the first one i've posted.

how can i do this without destroying any data nor restoring to backup/restore?

As to the controller itself, the h700 supports "drive roaming", so the controller should not screw it up if you move the drives around...

As to your OS, I have little experience with Linux versions. You can tell the controller which virtual disk to boot from in the adapter's bios setup, this may allow you to set the disk to boot from without physically moving the disks around.

The Dell server/raid support site has very knowledgeable people ..

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back