Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you remove AD once you implement it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
I know this is probably a funny topic to see posted. It seems like since I have implemented AD I have had nothing but problems. If you have seen my other posts, since the AD upgrade, I have had user login problems, and I have had a problem with a particular fileserver (which was also rebuilt on win2k Advanced Server when I implemented AD, probably a big mistake to do at the same time) which does not let remote connections connect to it after any given time. It could be running for 5 hours and then out of the blue when any user tries to connect to it, it says the remote server is unavailable. This happens for internal and external users...

Ok enough of my venting... Is their anyway to go back to the whole PDC/BDC scheme and get rid of AD altogehter?

I currently have 1 Windows 2000 DC, and 1 Windows NT BDC.......

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I have been stressed out on this issue for the last month or so and having to reboot this fileserver.. ACK!

You can demote the Windows 2000 AD machine to a member server by going through dcpromo. Then when AD is gone you can promote your Windows NT4 BDC to PDC. As for any lingering effects from AD after removal, I dont think you will have any issues. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back