Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you punch down two wires in a 110 block? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatech

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2003
US
Need to know if it is recommended to punch down two separate wires into a 110 block.

It is not recommended nor is it advised. Punching down two wires makes both suseptable to being loose.

the first wire is going to spread the contacts so the second wire will not get as good connection if it connects at all

not recommended

If it is a 110 block, get another clip and pund that on top of the current clip. I wouldn't recommend putting more than 2 of them together though.

Hence the reason why 110 blocks suck. Although you're not supposed to do that on 66 either. I'd reccomend using a 66 block that isn't split. They make them with 6 connected binding posts even...

Take your pair, circuit, etc. and loop them through several times.
Ex: we use 24V power often. we take the 24V+ and loop it through all four pair positions of Cable #1 location and take GND and loop through all four pair positions of cable #2 position, insert your C-4's and on the front side you will have 8 possible GND and 24V+ places to punch from.
Works the same with dial tone, PBX ports, etc.
Two wires under same position can not be a good thing.

Jerry Pannell
techs@sclb.com

110 blocks suck? Interesting approach. 66 blocks are old and traditional, and certainly do a fine job for voice. However, unless you already have a field of 66 blocks to match up with, I would recommend you consider the 110 type of block. If you are considering actually making your installation standards compliant, there just is no clean way to label the 66 blocks. Fortunately 110's have desi strips for labeling, take up less space than the 66 blocks and can be data compliant.

Generally we loop pairs through the various blocks as outlined above when we need to hook several pairs together. It does require a bit of planning in your jumpering, but it works well. Double punching is definately a no-no.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

DW,

66 blocks are made cat5 and cat5e (data) compliant.

They might be old, but they're tried and true. And if you use a split block, they're just as condensed (if not more condensed) than a 110 block. By split, I mean that you can fit 100 pairs on them (those types of blocks have tails coming out the back and are more commonly used on entrance protectors).

Standards compliant.

Hmmm, yes I do see more 110 blocks going in -- but just because they're standard doesn't mean that you have to agree with them. I certainly find it faster, easier, and more efficient to work on 66 blocks.

See a post a while back about BIX blocks, same applies from my standpoint.

I hate the adapters you have to use on a 110 block in order to use any device with ABN clips. I also despise the difficulty in finding a tone on a 110 block, whereas with a 66 it's much faster.

66 blocks are cheaper. 66 blocks are easy to label, and yes they make 66 blocks that have desi strips too.

Two schools of thought. I work on 110 blocks every day, and I hate them. 66 all the way.

Oh no, Carolina tech, look at what you started here. Looks like we might get the block battle going again.
Just kidding. To each his own. Lots of good points.

MarvO said it

Boy did this get off track from the original question.

Carolinatech
The first response you got is accurate.
Not the proper thing to do.
If you really have no other way to accomplish the task it can be done, take the 2 wires, bare the ends and twist them together (tightly) before trying to punch them down.

Very good points on your 66 blocks, use them in good health and enjoy. Sorry to get off topic.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

If I had to put two wires on one pin I would

scothlock the two wires along with a third pigtail wire and punch down the pigtail that way you are only punching one wire down for two connections

Indeed, I think it's important to defend my 66 blocks damnit :)

As a final word, 66 blocks are NOT the way to go for your primary distribution frame IF you've got thousands of pairs. 110 block rackmountability, as well as the sheer cleanliness with 110 blocks in that high quantity, warrants their usage.

End off topic discussion.

This side of the pond we see some 110 blocks but they're no way near as popular a the Krone blocks. You can put two wires into these and be assured of a good connection provided you use the right punch-down tool.
I think it is all about the way the metaliic part within a 110 block is perpendicular to the wire whereas it is at 45 degrees to the wire in a Krone block. I beleive the Krone block produces a smaller contact area but greater unit pressure for the cold weld.

why not turn your punth tool blade over and that way you cna go from one to another and another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back