Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you protect an open relay mail server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy21

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
VI
We are running exchange 5.5 in open relay mode, because our mac computers can not send mail if the sever is set to secure password authentication. The pcs do fine but not the macs which account for half of the systems on our network.

We are suffering with relays from outside, have had several crashes by the overload of mails through the system.

Is there a way to protect an open relay mail server?

Thanks for any info.

Rudy

open relay and secure password isn't the same. you don't need to open relay to get macs working to exchange.

secure the relay with the faq in this forum, install services for Mac.

Thanks for the reply Zelandakh, I did not explain clearly forgive me.

When I set the server not to relay and only send from local IP addresses the macs will get a "sever do not relay" or what ever the exact message is. And when I try to use "password authentication" they get locked out.

I noted you said that there is info here; can you point me in the right direction?

I should also include that we are a news paper company that have reporters who need a pop3 account for emailing information back to the office. So the pop3 server is needed. But I would like to think that there is some way to combat the relaying problem even with a pop3 mail server.

Click on the FAQ tab and look at FAQ 7 that zelandakh wrote.

You could also then setup the subnet containing the MACs as a "relay" server. In Exchange Admin, Internet Mail Service, connections, specify by host.

Hello guys,

Sometime you get that message beause the user has to authenticate to the server everytime he/she has to send or receive messages. Go into the options of the email software and look for an option that says "use same account login to send email" or somtheing like that i can't remeber it of the top of my head. This option sits under advanced button of SMTP server.

Hope this helps you.

Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back