Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you make CGI scripts executable using Dreamweaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

handlebars

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
GB
When using DW's ftp, how can i make cgi scripts executable. Dreamweaver's help is anything but...

what do u mean by creating cgi executables? i am new to cgi but i think i can help...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Huh?
you can't make CGI executable. They are script that "parses" information passed to it and then come up with a result. Dreamweaver is just an authoring tool; nothing more. Yu just create pages that will interact with the CGI script ( passing information to it )

Your webserver must have a perl module installed and that will cause your CGI script to work ( you usually will upload it to a cgi-bin on your webspace )

I find that I usually upload everything with DW MX, the with ws_ftp or flash fxp I log into the cgi-bin and CHMOD the scripts, Flashfxp has a nice right click option to CHMOD. Hope that helps, as I havent found a way to accomplish this with DW MX yet

Cheers,
MACROBRAIN
Macromedia Instructor
mailto:macrobrain@rjspowerbuilders.com

.cgi is a file like any other - in DW eyes....u can uplad it....u can edit - much like in notepad.....but that is it!
DW can NOT execute it or even test it - server has to process it....so it is a SS process
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back