Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you low level format drives on SA3200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allistah

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
US
Are there any drive utilities that I can run on a drive which is connected to a Smart Array 3200? I have a drive which is acting up and I'd like to try and low level format the drive but I haven't found any utilities that would allow me to do this. The drive is coming up with the bad drive led on so I wanted to see if I could do anything directly to the drive. I think the heads are stuck. They click a few times and then thats it. The drive spins up fine though.

Anyone have any tips for me? I've already tried putting the drive in the freezer and tapping the drive on the side.

Doubtful that you can and probably not worth the effort. Replacement drives are cheap enough to pick up second hand.

Also doing a low level format could create more problems since you won't have the list of existing bad sectors that should be missed out from the format.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back