Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you interview at the drop of a hat? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2016
US
I'm in the midst of looking for a job while employed. Everybody seems to tell me that "it's easier to find a job when you have a job." I don't know if anyone has ever done a study on this. People without jobs get hired all the time.

And then there is the unfortunately reality that everybody wants me to interview at the drop of a hat. I once got called on a Monday afternoon and was asked to come in for an interview on a Tuesday morning. Fortunately, I was able to do it. Needless to say, they took their own sweet time in getting back to me--which was about a week.'

I've told recruiters to give me at least two days of notice. Rarely if ever do they abide by this.
I also one HR person send me an email without nine different appointmen times asking me to pick the top three. She ended up picking her own time anyway--it wasn't any of the three I had selected.

I'm seriously thinking about just quitting this job I'm on right now. I've learned that employers don't care one iota if I currently have a job or not. They expect me to take time off from my job to interview with them, and they expect me to make up a plausible story to get the time off. It could even be for two or three hours.

I guess my experience of job hunting whilst employed has been radically different - I interviewed for my current role at night on the way home from my job at the time with interviewers who were quite prepared to stay late to meet and talk.

In the past I've had to arrange days off but never at as such short notice. TBH I'd consider anyone asking me to come into interview within the next 24 hours who isn't willing to reschedule to a mutually agreeable time as likely to be an overly demanding employer and not really suitable for me, regardless of how great the position seemed on paper.

TazUk

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
Martin Golding

I pretty much agree about the overly demanding part. One big problem is that the scheduling of interviews is often done by a third party. In one case, I'm talking to an HR person who is going to check with the interview committee to see if I can come in. It always works out better when I can actually talk the person who will be interviewing me. It also doesn't help me that interviewing is almost always with teams nowadays.

When you are looking for work, the employer (or potential employer) holds all the cards. In general. Unless you have some rare niche skillset.

I usually say something like "I'm generally available with 24 hours notice, but could perhaps do something sooner if my schedule is clear". Then I immediately tell them about any conflicts. If they press you, and to make them more at ease, tell them it's not for another interview (even if it is !). Tell them it's for (choose one or more): doctor or dental appointment, previous commitment to help a friend, babysitting, scheduled visit from electrician or plumber, special birthday or anniversary celebration (not yours), etc. I remember one time, I had to put off an interview because I was painting my house and the day they picked for the interview was going to be the last rain-free day for quite awhile. I told them my situation and even volunteered to bring pictures to prove my situation. :)

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

I've run into the old "overqualified" excuse. Once they find out the salary you have been making you are put in the "overqualified" category and they won't hire you.

Jim

Some times "overqualified" is not an excuse, it's the truth. Sometimes we will be looking for low cost newbie programmer right out of college to train into a position. There will be applicants of all skill levels including the technical black belts that could do the job with their eyes closed, and expect to be paid near what they were making. Yes, they may be a great fit for the job, but not when we're looking for cheap labor to train.

One of the problems is that job postings are very vague and often filled with cut-and-paste boilerplate. This makes it really hard to tell what a lot of jobs will entail from the posting. Some jobs would end up being very boring very quickly for a highly qualified candidate, whereas the same job would offer years of challenge and learning for someone right out of college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back