Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you duplicate all your RAID disks with hot swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

help321

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
FI
Hi!

I'm in need of a backup system for our server and I was wondering can it be done so that I replace 1 disk at a time from 3 disk hotswap-raid system and after 3 swaps I have the whole system on those 3 disks which I have swapped?

So once again procedure: I get 3 new disks, hot-swap them 1 at a time and finally I have an indentical diskset compared to the original 3 disks that are in.

Hello

I would need to know what RAID set you are running. If you are running RAID 1 then you could remove one of the drives as you say and put the new one in so you could keep the other drive offline.

But if you are running RAID 5 you will not be able to do this. BUT you could install a single drive beside the RAID 5 set as JBOD and use Windows 2000 mirroring to mirror the software. you would then need to edit the Boot.ini file to boot of the JBOD drive. BUT you would only be able to boot off the drive in a machine with the SAME RAID CONTROLLER>

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back