Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can You Disable the Scroll Bar Control Tip Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebb3

Programmer
Feb 27, 2006
US
Is there a way to disable a continuous forms scroll bar control tip text?

Let me expand. If you click and hold the slide box, you get a control tip reading "Record: 4 of 100" as an example.

On the form in question, as I slide the bar downward quickly, it leaves "ghosts" of the Tool Tip all the way down the page. Once I stop scrolling, they go away. It looks terrible and I think there is a performance hit as well.

I just want to scroll... I don't care what record I'm scrolling to.

I've searched here, Microsoft, and other various websites and I can't find it! I'd even go so far as to disable the entire FORMS Control Tip Text.

I looked all over and don't find a way to disable it either, sorry. But I wonder this: I have a continuous form that's slow, but it's because I do some calculations that make it slow. I wonder if it's not the record pop-up text that's slow, but your underlying query instead? Maybe that's something we could help with?

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

Thanks for the reply Ginger.

The query itself is static. Pull the data and display it. The calculations are either done "On Load" or "After Update", so they shouldn't affect the scroll speed of the form. Should they? And the calculations are basically just totals and subtotals.

I have a sinking feeling that its the speed of my network and the age of the PCs. The backend is on an enterprise share of one of the largest intranets in the world. And the machines are 3 years old with bare minimum specs.

Arrrgh...

Well. I fixed it. I'm putting it here just in case it can help others.

The form was set to Dynaset. I changed it to Snapshot and not only is the FORM smooth scrolling, but my coded sort buttons perform instantly as well.

One remaining question...

You don't get something for nothing... What have I given up by doing this. The continuous form has a few fields that are editable by the user... Date, Cost and identifier. Will there be a problem with record locking or data entry?

LOL! 2 seconds of testing and I realize that if its a Snapshot, you can't edit the data directly. I went to dynaset(inconsistent updates) and it seemed to speed it up a LITTLE.

Hi,

'Snapshot' is indeed if want do 'disable' editing.

but maybe you could try a little trick, by setting your form to 'Snapshot', and for those fields you want to edit, you can write some code (i think of the lost focus event) in VBA to change the value directly in the table.

i never did something like this, but I'm just wondering if it would be a solution for you.

Ja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back