Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you connect an analogue modem to ISDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derren

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
GB
Hi

Just for a bit of clarification, is it possible to connect to a remote PC with an ISDN modem from a machine with an analogue modem?

I am trying to use PC anywhere 8 (and 10). There is no static IP address available for the host.

I keep getting "number is in use" etc. messages but the line is definitely not in use.

It would be nice to know once and for all before I persuade my client to get an analogue modem Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Oh bugger

Thanks for the confirmation Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

The reply to "Is it possible to connect to a comouter with ISDN modem from a PC with analog modem?" was "no". This was an incorrect answer. The correct answer is "It depends upon the type of ISDN modem." We have an intelligent ISDN modem in our organization which connects via a prtial T1 line. The modem detects whether the incoming call is digital or analog and establishes the appropriate connection as a result. We have district offices which dial in via ISDN AND we have remote users who dial in from IBM Thinkpad PC's which use analog modems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back