Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you change the order toolbars appear in the taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyH1

Programmer
Jan 11, 2004
GB
This isn't a particularly important issue, but I wonder if anyone knows if its possible to change the order the toolbars appear on the taskbar. i mean the toolbars that are in the menu when you right click on the taskbar and choose toolbars, not items like sound, power etc, but ones such as address and links. I have two items there, but they have option for the items when you right-click on them, so it doesn't seem possible to drag them, and when you right mouse click on the taskbar and choose toolbars you only seem able to tick/untick taskbars and not change the order.

Have you tried dragging them to a new position?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

2ffat, I tried dragging them, but I think that only applies to items on a toolbar, and not toolbars themselves. I can't be certain as the two toolbars I'm trying to move/change order themselves show things (their own menus) when you left click or right click on them, so that could be preventing the drag option. but I tried to drag the Address toolbar and the links toolbars and couldn't drag either.

It looks like in windows 10 you can only drag and move items IN a toolbar into any order on that toolbar, but you cannot drag/move a toolbar itself and that the position of a toolbar (and therefore the order they display) is fixed in terms of its position/order to other active toolbars

Andy

Experimenting with the first suggestion in this post worked for me in Windows 10. It was a bit fiddly and needed some patience in trying to drag the Toolbar along the TaskBar to change the order (but it worked in the end). I found it a bit easier if you extened the width of the TaskBar initially. Make sure the TaskBar is not locked too.

Change Windows taskbar toolbars order (sequence) on Win XP

linney, did you actually manage to move toolbars in Windows 10, or just the items on a toolbar like the sound, notification center etc? Ive tried moving the mouse over the taskbar with the toolbars on it, even enabling the built in ones like address and links but get no options to move them. I have checked and have the 'lock the taskbar disabled' so its not that.

If you can confirm it was a toolbar, and not an item on a toolbar this would confirm to me its at least possible and I can keep trying, its fiddly to say the least. Its how I used to do it on windows 7 and XP 9as in the link you sent), but I just get nothing in windows 10.

its not a big deal, its just an aesthetic irritation that I want o move one of the toolbars.

Have a good Xmas and thanks for your help
Andy

You can do it, And it is easier if you make it taller.
2015-12-24_h1rbm0.png
In the screen shot, you will see address has been moved from the right side to in between the pinned items and task view.

You can move toolbars by clicking and dragging from the handle or separator on the left side of the toolbar when the Taskbar is unlocked. At first the toolbar will extend, but eventually it can move past the next toolbar.

If you drag it to the right, it may not move, until you cross another toolbar.

tasbardrag_zpsfpsrngwi.jpg

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Vacunita

yep you are right about that. I tried the handles on the built in Address and Links toolbars and was able to swap. Unfortunately the two toolbars I'm trying to move - Lenovo access connections and BatteryBar (both third party apps - green and on the right in the image) don't show handles. But thanks anyway

bar_qvi5kj.png

I only have Toolbars that are Windows default, but once those were positioned on the TaskBar they could be swapped around as explained in the supplied XP link. I don't have any third party Toolbars.

I don't see any >> on you Toolbar so maybe yours' are set in concrete?

How To Disable ThinkVantage Access Connections or Use Windows to Manage Wireless Connections

linney

Thanks for your help anyway. I guess maybe they probably can't be moved, but like I said its not a big deal, just would have been nice.

Thanks for the link about disabling Access Connections, but I actually quite like it and prefer to keep it. Lenovo say its not suppose to work with Windows 10, but Ive not had any problems with it and like the big wifi strength display. It doesn't seem to give problems or affect my internet speed in any way that degrades the speed.

Lenovo used to have a nice battery display too, but the older version didn't work with Windows 10 and the new one they created for Windows 10 has a different look that is really ugly and also lost all its functionality (such as being able to choose power options), so I replaced it with BatteryBar Pro which looks like the old one and has the functions.

Again thanks to you, and all the others for your help. have a happy Xmas
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back