Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you call a dll on a different server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgers

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
US
Help,

Is it possible to call a dll from one server to another ?

I have tried this but with no joy.

For eg;

Dim o
Set o = CreateObject("ProjectId.ClassId","ServerName")

Thanks

I'm not sure but .....

If you try first to MAP a drive to the Directory that the [.DLL] is stored and then access that DLL as if you're accessing a local component might do the trick.

...still, I'm not sure if this work.

Random is what we can't see
Devine is what we can't understand
and If 1=2 then I'm the pope

What do you mean by calling a DLL from one server to another??

You can create and Connect to dll's running on another server, but the dll has to be written to allow remote connections. The DLL must also be registered on the client machine before being able to run it.

The simplest way to achieve this if it is whats required is using Mictosoft transaction Server ( Component Services COM + ). The DLL is installed into MTS and then the client registers. When the client creats the objects, they are created on the server.

Vermix - Mapping a drive to the server will allow access to the DLL, but if you load it, it will be running on your client PC, Not on the server.

Hope this helps,

Chris Dukes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back