Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you assign a tape drive to a Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crono

Technical User
Feb 24, 2006
US
Hi all,

This may be completely off the wall so please bear with me. I have two different save groups. I want one to begin at 9pm while the other to begin at 11pm. The problem is that by the time the 11pm job starts, the 9pm job will have used both drives in the library to do its thing which will force the 11pm job to wait. Is it possible to tell the 9pm job to "use only this drive for the job" so the other drive will be free for the other save group?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time.

-C

Yes you can - indirectly:
- create a new pool
- add the group name to the "groups" list
- select the tape drive of your choice as well

However, if you have only one drive assigned to the pool and the drive fails, NW must stop with the group as there is no alternative.

There is a direct method, using the group+drive save-set parallelism to regulate drive use.

The 9pm group should have it's savegroup parallelism set to the value of the "Max [target] sessions" of your drives.

Thusly, the 9pm group cannot use more than on drive.
Unfortunately, it means that this group will take up more time for it's execution. Twice as much.

The 11pm group will use whatever troughput is left on the second drive.
When a 9pm save-set finishes, it may even be replaced by an 11pm save-set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back