Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you adjust what causes job to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andronium

MIS
Jan 4, 2001
US
My BE 8.6 jobs "fail" almost every time. All it takes is an open file error or something dinky like that. I'm tired of explaining that the job isn't really failing, it just encountered some issues. Is there a way to adjust what will cause the job to fail?

Try updating to the latest service pack if you haven't already. I solved some of these issues for me.

I think the latest build is 3572 but I may be wrong or getting my BE versions muddled :(

elephant2]elephant2]elephant2]

Try updating to the latest service pack if you haven't already. I solved some of these issues for me.

I think the latest build is 3572 but I may be wrong or getting my BE versions muddled :(

[elephant2][elephant2][elephant2]

I'm at 3808... just upgraded it a month or two ago.

Andronium,

I think there is no way around this annoying problem. I think Veritas left this in there program to make sure admins were aware when a file was open at a time that no one should have been in the building. I dont know if this is some sort of "security blanket" that veritas is providing, however I have been on the phone and posted many messages to their newsgroups with no answer to the same question.

BTW I am at version 8.6 Rev 3878 and I still get those problems.

Actually, I goofed. I'm using 8.6 3878 as well.

That's a bummer. The whole "fail"/"successful" designation is pretty meaningless if a whole job is designated as failed because of one open file. I wonder if this might change in the next version.

We recently started using Veritas when we upgraded our servers from NT 4 to Windows 2000, and I am just beginning to learn about it, but our setup includes something called Open File Option (OFO), and having a file open doesn't necessarily result in a failure message. Maybe someone who is more familiar with Veritas can say more about this. We have had some failure notices on database files that are not only open but also are constantly changing, because verification of them doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back