Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Yahoo Mail be used as an interface for generic IMAP/POP3 accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbarnett

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
Is there a way of connecting IMAP/POP3 accounts to be accessed via Yahoo Mail (free account)? They support using it to access other well known major providers eg Hotmail/Outlook.com, AOL and GMail etc but not generic IMAP/POP3.

There are plenty of articles on the web explaining how to do this in reverse but this isn't what I am aiming for.

John

Settings -> Accounts -> Add another mailbox.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Those articles were probably correct at yhe time they were written. However the option seems to have been removed with the UI update from October last year.

John

ChrisHirst's instructions are correct. To get to the "Settings" link, first click the gear icon in the upper-right.

Sorry, I understand now. I get the same message when clicking "Other". It's not browser-related, just looks like Yahoo isn't in a rush to implement that feature.

Hmm, yes - it looks like they (re)moved this capability with the redesigned browser-based mail client introduced in October. Hadn't spotted that as I almost never use that client. I prefer to amalgamate all my inboxes with Windows Live Mail (and even then I thought it was related to the fact that I'm using the BT branded version of Yahoo email, rather than the generic one)

It's odd though, because the current help files still clearly describe the process outlined by Chris:

You could signup for a Yandex.com or a mail.com account both have "fetch mail" methods.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back