Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN WIN2K BE SET TO AUTO SHUTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

llambert2

MIS
Apr 10, 2003
US
Can Win2K be setup to auto shutdown. Either at a specific time or after a specific amount of nonuse. I'm looking for a total shutdown though not sleep mode or something like that. I would prefer it was from within the O/S not a third party program. But I'll deal with whatever we need to do.

Thanks
Len

Write a Visual Basic Scrpit or find one that uses the system time to shut down on a given time/date?

Hammertime

No.

Although there are third party tools that can do this.

I think we can do it . Hold on for 15 minutes so i can test (only have xp pro to test on,but should be the same).

You can use the Task Scheduler to schedule a specific shutdown, but you will have to use either the Win2k Resource kit to obtain shutdown.exe, or use Third Party equivalents.

The use of the Task Scheduler has been documented here several times. Do a keyword search on "shutdown" and you will find several threads and methods.

But an inactivity timer? No.
Scheduled, using only native tools? Yes, with some work. Search for the threads.
Scheduled, using Third Party tools? Yes, easily
Inactivity, using Third Party tools? Yes.

thanks bcastner
That looks like the way we are going to go... using the scheduler. We had basically figured that out. I want to add that I did a search for "windows 2000 auto shutdown". I figured something as wide as just shutdown would give me too much, and wanted it windows 2K specfic. But I admit there wasn't anything that really looked as if it would solve our issue.
Although if someone has another idea ...I'm still open to suggestions.
thanks
Len

Sorry i had a little hassle , my computer shuts down on me when answering the phone, getting coffee , going to the toilet and such .
I had the idle time to 3 minutes .
Can do all from scheduler , W2K needs the shutdown.exe from the resource kit i guess or some other.

Used start this task when idle for 5 minutes .
Also: run task daily + repeat every x minutes , and spesify dont start unless idle for xx minutes .

I tried this method with Windows XP and the computer never turned off. The shutdown.exe is in it's proper location. Any ideas?

Maybe someone can shed some light?

I have a 2k box that enters a nonresponsive "sleep" mode after ~30 minutes on the first power up only. No power options are set in OS/BIOS. It's been driving me crazy. It only happens once a day and when it does the plug has to be pulled.

One "native" to Win2k alternative is this:

A command line of:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TSSHUTDN.EXE 0 /DELAY:0 /POWERDOWN will powerdown most Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers.

You can use the Task Scheduler idle time setting to schedule this form of shutdown, as discussed earlier by SYAR2003.

bcastner... does that do a forced shutdown ...or does it properly shutdown any open programs first???
I was looking for it to be anything even forced was OK... but my boss is now saying he'd prefer it not be forced... (forced meaning it shutsdown eveything and if anything is open too bad...) That would potentially cause problems...

It uses the same Windows APIs as shutdown.exe, with the addition of several API calls that are specific to a Terminal Server and to a terminal service client to ensure that they are shut down. It will force a close of sessions on a Terminal Server.

If it would make you feel better, add 60 to the "Delay" value. Shutdown.exe has a default of 20.

Rmember too that the plan was to have the process initiated only if the machine was idle for an extended period.

I'm continuing to use this after i tested it on xp .
Thought is was nice .

Batch file:shut.bat
rem ===================
shutdown -s
rem ===================

Call the batch file from task manager .
Run when idle for 60 minutes.

PC shuts down all the time now if i forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back