Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Win 2000 Pro support remote desktop session to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangeblood

Technical User
May 11, 2006
US
In XP there is an option to "allow users to connect remotely to this computer". However, I have a client with Win 2000 Pro desktops, and I'd like to be able to remote to them. I understand that Win 2000 Pro does not support this natively, but I'm hoping someone knows of an add on.

There are many ways that you can accomplish this through desktop sharing.

There is piece of commercial software called PCAnywhere that allows for this.

One of many FREE and easy ways to do it is to have AIMPro installed on both workstations. The "host" machine can then allow the remote user to view their desktop and/or control the cursor and keyboard.

Another app out there is called VNC. Pretty handy too, and we use it quite a bit. I believe that there are both free and commercial versions out there.

matt

Thanks for the references to PCAnywhere, VNC and AIMPro. I have used the first two, and I'll check out AIMPro. I was hoping there was a Windows upgrade/addon such as was offered by Microsoft to upgrade W2000 users with the remote desktop client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back