Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we use Exchange Server for LAN Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Im beginers to MS Exchange Server. I hav a network of 1 win2kadv server as domain controller and several w2kprof clients. I hav installed Exchange Server 2000 in this domain controller. Now i would like to make it as email server for LAN only. Will i be able to do it?

How can i do it? I have installed exchange server in my domain controller for my domain.

In AD Users and Computers you will need to "Mail Enable" users that were created before Exchange was installed. Just right click on the user, and there should be a menu item for "Exchange Tasks"

Then, install Outlook on your client computers, if its not already. For a new install, it will walk you through the setup - just keep choosing Exchange Server when presented with options. For Existing Outlook installs: Under the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts", then select "Add/Change Accounts." You will now be on a page with the first option listed as "Microsoft Exchange Server." Select that, and you'll get to a page where you'll need to provide the Exchange Server's name and the User's name.

That should do it.

I have created 2 users in active directory named A and B. From one win2k pc i access Ms outlook Web access and logged on as user A. Ive sent couple of emails to B, but B hasnt received any? What im missing?

What im missing?
The basics probably.
Do some reading, you are a beginner, don't expect to get it up and running in 5 minutes.
Here are links to the deployment guides, all is in there, but it is a lot!

Maybe start here:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back