Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we update a Published Report Object with an updated version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

10crystal10

Programmer
Mar 2, 2005
US
We have CE 10 Professional VErsion. Once we publish a report object is there a way we can update the published object with a new version so that the next instance will pick up the new version?

Yes.

The way I suggest doing this is to save directly from CR over the top of the current CE location for that report.

It will then preserve existing sdchedules and instances going forward will use it.

This is because Crystal has Object IDs for each report, and overwriting the existing one means that it no longer has the old instance.

The exception is if you make a COPY of a report to another folder (as opposed to a shortcut), as it is a unique object.

-k

Yes, synapsevampire's way is how we routinely do this in our CR9/CE9 environment - that is, open the report in Crystal Reports, then Save As and save directly to the location of the existing report in Enterprise, using the same name. With CE9, however, there are a couple of potential gotchas that maybe they've addressed in 10:

[ul]
[li]The database password on the Enterprise report object is lost. You must re-enter the password. Also, if the database account last saved with the report is different from what's set up in CE, you'll need to rekey that as well.[/li]
[li]If you entered anything directly into the description field on the Properties tab in CE or into the record or group selection formulas on the Filters tab in CE, this info will be overwritten with the updated report.[/li]
[li]If the report is set with a default format other than Crystal Report, such as Excel, the CMC may still show the format you selected but actually generate the instance using the system default Crystal Report format. This results in instances that show they're XLS format, for instance, but are really RPT format. For reports I have set up like this and then subsequently updated, I usually change the format back to Crystal Report, then click the update button, then set back to Excel or whatever format, then update.[/li]
[li]Any parameter defaults you set up for the report in CE will be overwritten with the CR report parameter values (i.e. if you ran the report before saving to Enterprise, the parameter values you last used will show up in Enterprise.)[/li]
[li]Any recurring jobs will not pick up the updated report logic, so you must delete all existing recurring jobs and recreate.[/li]
[/ul]

All of this applies even if you open the report into CR directly from its location in CE, make your changes, then update it.

Despite these issues, you do get some benefits by saving over an existing report object. The most important one for me is that by avoiding the object delete/republish method, all the historical instances are retained.

--Bearden

Note that in CR 10 under the File->Options->Reporting you have 2 Enterprise settings for updating objects there.

The difference being that the properties are overwirtten if this is not checked, otherwise they are retained (Bearden: part of your concern).

-k

Ooops, should have said that if you select "Update Enterprise Report Properties on Save".

-k

Thanks guys. But is there a way we can do this within CMS?
The reason I ask this is that we can't do a save as to the Production Server, and the Production Server folks don't have CR installed. They only use CMS to publish reports.

Hi,
In the CMC ( Not the CMS, which is the service, not an interface), in the Properties tab for a report, a 'Refresh Options' choice is clikable..There you can set what gets refreshed/changed on refresh..

[profile]

Turkbear,

But how do I publish my updated report object? before hitting the "Refresh Report" option
The Refresh Report does not allow me to publish a new version of the report.

10Crystal10

Hi,
How did you publish it in the first place?
If you can publish, you can use CR and save to the Enterprise Folder and overwrite the existing version.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back