Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we merge reports in Impromptu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkn

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
SG
Hi Folks,

Can we merge multiple reports into one in Impromptu? Yes of course, without using hotfiles.

Thanks in Advance

Sort of, using subreports. Unless you mean different databases, etc.

I have done it with using other .imr's as datasources in the report, but ofcourse, it slows it down a bit. You can create a column that points to another report that runs and retrieves data to put into that column. It is slick, especially when you use up to 5 reports to get different data into one report combined. It also depends on how the joins are to the data on whether your situation will work properly.

Hello CognosProfessional, Can u tell me in details specifically How u can point a column to a different reports?

Thanks

Well, to begin with, all of the reprots used as data sources must share the same catalog. Take the first report, written to provide data to the second report, and include it into the catalog. Do this by using the Hotfile button option under Catalogs | Tables. A second report can then be written to use this data as if it were a table, and then combine it wiht other data that would not have been possible in a single report. This approach works reasonably well. The only major limitation I've found is that you cannot reliably use outer joins between the report data source and other tables in the catalog. I found I have to resort to hotfiles again to achieve this.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

1. The new column has to be an item comparable to the data in your second report you are pointing to. Use the expression editor in the Edit Definition to rename your column, then, use the filter to call that new column name "in" , "dataset", and a dialog box will come up asking you to choose an .imr and a column in that .imr. Once you choose a column, then click Open, you are back to viewing your filter and it should say "new column" in (DATASET). It is then that you will decide your join to the dataset with the report that you are using in order for it to work. Choose 'and', then Catalog Columns, and decide if anything in your report can join to your catalog so that the results make sense, then the '=' , then the matching item in your 2nd report.
2. This may not work in your situation. However, it is worth a try. You can only use data from the same catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back