Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we just have Novell Login.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottlem

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
GB
Ok we want to start using windows 2k (sp2)workstations on our novell network. Is there anyway of turning off the Win2k login and password so that users only have to use the novell one. I could setup the users within the win2k user setup but as everyone moves desk i would prefer to rely on the Novell client

Novell login is v4.80.20000717

Regards

Scott

Hi,

Try searching HKLM for MSGINA.DLL and replace it with NWGINA.DLL, reboot your machine and it should give the Netware login, however, if it all goes t*ts up, don't blame me :)

Ogi.

Hey, I honestly wasn't aware it was even possible to get completely rid of the w2k login. There has to be some type of windows login process whether it's a network domain account or a local account simply because w2k uses this for setting your security privedges. But then again I don't know how much I can trust my brain at 3am.

You can do this on a Novell network if you have Zenworks.
With ZenWorks, you can create a Dynamic Local User policy that will create a local account with the Netware credentials (User name and password). You can also assign local machine rights with this policy.

Just download the newest client from Novells website for 2000/NT and it replaces the 2000 login screen w/ it's own and allows you to chane the local and Novell username and password.... nothing fancy...:)

Check out this Novell help doc:
Install the latest Netware client (4.8?) and look under the implementation instructions for 4.7 in the Novell help doc. You will want to do autologin for Win2k and manual login to NDS. There are a few registry changes you will need to make, and then you should be up and running! It worked for me!

dowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back