Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we have one format for printed and online documentation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stankow

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2002
Hi,
Many years (two decades) I was quite happy with nroff format of our program documentation. But modern times press us :) :)

Is it possible to have one format for printed and online documentation in SCO - say html ?

Yes, there is something like man2html, but it works bad with macros. And moreover nroff is not the best - it lacks images, fonts etc. Groff - hmm, we have no resourses to cyrillize and learn it (like nroff, it takes many months).

I do not meet satisfactory solution even in MS environment.
Please, share yours experience and oppinion !

Thanks in advance !

not sure of the purpose of this question, is it for adding and creating documentation or just accessing it?:

as of Openserver 5.0.7 (maybe 5.0.6, never used it) all the man pages are html based (served up thru Docview).

you can access them on your local network via a browser at

and documentation on adding information is available at

stanhubble, you right, my question is not very clear.

Accessing the OS on-line documentation via port 8457 is very good. I succeed to add documentation to it (for Java) and index, and search, very nice. So I decided to add also our application program documentation, currently in .nroff.

But how to convert it ? To which format ? On which format to stake ? .rtf .doc .groff .tex ? Then what convertor to use ? Say, convertion of .doc to .html using OpenOffice was just terrible.

Which format to have, so to can print it nicely and meanwhile easily to convert the documentation to .html and browse it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back