Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can we do this WITHOUT VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmario2013

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2004
US
Hi All:
We are using the native Microsoft VPN client to dial into the RAS server, most of the time is working good, people using it to get to their outlook, file (slow depending on the connection speed) and other stuff

lately I have been getting complains about the VPN not working right when they are in different hotels with boradband internet provided, the fact that these boardband connections not created equal some times some place its working good but other times create a nightmare for accessing via VPN especially using Outlook (such a bandwidth eater that the slightest instable connection will complete frezze the whole PC)

is there any solution out there to enable user login with using VPN or freeze up outlook ?

Thanks
XM

Consider creating an Exchange server and using Outlook for Web Access.

I thought of that too, what if people need offline access too ? (ie. synchronzing the mail boxes and sometimes files)

will critix or terminal server help if you are offline ?

thanks
XM

If you are logged in via Citrix or Terminal Services, then you are certainly ONLINE.

If they need offline access to their email, setup your client to use POP3 to download it to their local machines.

but they put more than just email into their outlook, many people have about 200 folders created in their outlook session (no wonder they killed it) and calendaring, contacts etc. will the POP3 download those too ?

Outlook set up for POP3 will download email to a local .pst file. Your users can set up whatever folders they like in their local .pst file.

thank you I will try that

is there an option to have it just copy all the stuff instead download and delete from the server ?

I know in Outlook Express has the "Leave mail on the server" option, I didn't find that in POP3 service of Outlook 97-2000, not sure if they added in the later version

that pose a problem if they lost the PST file if they downloaded all their mail into one computer or trying to get to the mail in another computer

Thanks
XM

If you are running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 you can use a bit of tech called RPC / HTTP which is what i have been using to get my email over the internet - there is a good guide over at msexchange.org

It basically makes outlook work as if it was local to the server on the network back in the office.

Hi Guys,

A few different suggestions for you:

1. Use the Terminal Server Advanced Client - this is a web-based client, and should work anywhere a client can get a connection, they don't even need the TSClient software - be forewarned that you need to be running IIS to make this work, and it behaves a bit differently than the regular client, so test it first.

2. Have your clients use Outlook 2003 - this has a feature that allows you to work with your email and other items offline, and then sync when you are in the office - if it is setup correctly it should synch automatically - then items that a user changes while they are on the road are updated when they come back into the office. This requires an Exchange server of course.

Hope this helps,

- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back