Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN VPN OR RDC BE HACKED INTO VIA WIRELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightcheck

Technical User
Jan 27, 2008
US
We use SBS 2003 and have 3 remote users, 2 use VPN's and one uses Remote Desktop - all three have Server access.

Is there anyway that a hacker using a wireless device intercept these VPN or RDC connections and obtain access to a workstation or Server.

Is there anyway at all that any wireless device can in any way hack into our Server/workstations.

I also recently heard - that it is possible, though not likely, that by dialing into our fax number a sophisticated hacker can gain access to our server also. I remember hearing about this a long long time ago, and assumed that security breach was rectified - bus is it ?

Thanks for any info you can provide...

NC

Sure as hell they can. One month ago I was called into a network which was hacked via wireless. The hacker was on the system for a month, going through a number of networks to get to the client's. By the time I came on site, the guy had 4 keyloggers in place and had installed roboform. The hacker was interested in credit card/bank pin numbers.
All my client's I have on VPN, harder to get through than RDP via port 3389. Straight RDP is vulnerable to dictionary attacks and other vulnerabilities.
Access through the fax, depends on your fax software and Os setup.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I completely agree. All software and all HARDWARE has code created by people. Such code CAN be flawed. (If it weren't you'd never see hardware revisions) ANYTHING with any kind of code can be hacked. The question is, is it economical to hack whatever it is you're using. Firefox may be just as flawed as IE, but which will get a hacker into more machines?

Want something scary? See this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back