Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can vitual machine connect to the internet or host must be connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelex

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
DE
Hello, all!

Situation:
Win XP having VMWare Player running Ubuntu (Browser Appliance downloaded from vmware.org)

Virtual machine can surf in internet only if the host system is connected.
I mean: virtual computer itself doesn't connect to the internet. It only uses the established connection. Is it right?
Can I make the virtual system to connect to the internet, so that the host remains unconnected?

The virtual machine uses the host machines Internet connection. In order for the VM to access the Internet, the host must have Internet access.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

[thumbsdown]
What can one use virtual machines then for??!!
If the host must be connected the security isn't given at all!

The host and the virtual machine have different IP address, so you could block access to one, while allowing access to another.

With the VMware player you are looking at a desktop solution, not a server solution so your options are much more limited.

When you work with VMware ESX, you have a management NIC, and one or more VM NICs (physical NICs which are used by the guests, not the host OS). The management NIC and the NIC(s) for the guests can be connected to different networks to provide your VMs access to various IP subnets.

My VMware host has several NICs. The Management NIC is connected to the Management subnet. There is a NIC connected to the DMZ, and another connected to the Application subnet. The VMs are connected to a single network based on the NIC they have access to.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back