Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN U HELP can you open a sql database using access

Status
Not open for further replies.

droze22

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
I use access for many projects, I am starting to use SQl Server 2000 database for a larger project, I am a novice at this database, I would like to if possible use access as a front end to design and creates tables, queries, forms etc, in the SQL database. Access has a create new connection under open and it allows you to connect to a sql database. when I start to create a new connection it asked for a SERVER NAME is this the name of server? use windows security, use the follwing username and password, I have slected both and usually end up with a "not a trusted sql connection". Am I reading all of this wrong, any direction would be a great help.

Configuration
(DC) Windows 2000 ADVSRV SPK4 (AD)
(SQL)Windows 2000 ADVSRV SPK4
SQL Server 2000
IIS 5

(user) XPpro SPK1
accessXP

SERVERNAME- the name of the server that SQL Server is on.

How is the SQL Server set up?

You will probably have to get the SQL Server DBA to help with this.

Go to Enterprise Manager, drill down to the server name, right click on the server name, select Properties, go to Security tab. What type of authentication is being used?

Next expand down to Security, expand that and click on Logins. Do you have a login? If so, is it set for Windows authentication or for SQL Server authentication?

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back